Once you have completed the provisioning of your TKey Unlocked, it is time to glue the case around it. There has been two cases in production and depending on which one you have, the glue needed are slighly different.
The reason the glue has to be different is due to factors such as adhesiveness and blooming. This depends on the plastic used and you can get two completly different results depending on the glue chosen, both astetic and the fact how well the parts stick together.
The glue is not today provided in the order of a TKey Unlocked, but has to be purchased separately. Below you can find the recommended glue, other brands might also work but since we have not tested them we cannot guarantee the longterm adhesiveness or the blooming effect.
Injection-molded Case #
From December 2023 this is the case all TKeys are shipped with. This casing has improved durability, production quality and asthetics.
Tech Sheet #
- Production method: Injection-molded
- Material: PA12-Grilamid TR 90 Transparent
- Color: Transparent, blasted
Recommended glue: Bostik Born2Bond Light Lock, MV. (or similar cyanoacrylate adhesive)
This is an dual-curing cyanoacrylate adhesive that cures with the help of contact and UV-light. If you have an UV-lamp it will help it cure faster, but it is enough from the UV-light that are present around you all the time.
This is an cyanoacrylate adhesive, but is non-toxic. Hence it can be glued without special tools or knowledge - but be aware, it dries quickly so you can easily glue your fingers together.
- Apply glue on the back of the TKey, along the pads on both sides.
- Place the TKey centered in the bottom case (without the ant) with the pads pointing into the case.
- Apply glue in both U-shaped grooves on the top part (with the ant) . You don’t need much. Also put a drip of glue in each hole on the key chain loop.
- Push the top case (with the ant) onto the bottom case, make sure the TKey is placed correctly inside the case so it closes properly.
- Keep a bit of pressure, just so the parts are fully closed. If you have a UV-lamp, light it now.
- The curing time depens on if you have a UV-lamp or not, keep preasure until the glue has cured.
If you don’t have a UV-lamp, you can help it curing faster by moving closer to a window. The curing time wihtout a UV-lamp should still be less than a minute.
3D-printed Case #
This is the first production case, and provided before December of 2023.
Tech sheet #
- Prodction method: SLA 3D-printed
- Resin: Formlabs Clear Resin (SLA)
- Color: Translucent white
Recommended glue: Bostik Born2Bond Ultra, LV. (or similar instant adhesive)
This is an instant adhesive, but is non-toxic. Hence it can be glued without special tools or knowledge - but be aware, it dries quickly so you can easily glue your fingers together.
- Put the TKey in the bottom case (without the ant)
- Apply a few drips of glue all the way around the outer edge of the bottom case. You don’t need much!
- Push the top case (with the ant) onto the bottom case
- Keep a bit of preasure for 20 seconds. You don’t have to press hard, just so the parts are fully closed.
- You are done!